The humble carrot served in an exciting way. This is an excellent side dish to roasts and steaks. I didn't have fresh parsley on hand, so I omitted it and it still turned out great. I will try the recipe with the addition of the parsley next time, though. Recipe source is my favourite Swiss cooking magazine called 'KOCHEN' (December 04). I included this recipe into my African cook book for the Zaar World Tour, as all ingredients appear in Middle East dishes.
- Peel the carrots and cut them into 4-5cm / 1.5-2 inches pieces. Put the pieces into a bowl.
- Roast coriander seeds and black pepper in a skillet WITHOUT using any oil or butter. Coarsely ground the roasted spices and sprinkle over carrots. Salt the carrots and mix well.
- Pour olive oil into a small container. Peel and mince the garlic and mix it with the olive oil. Mix oil-garlic mixture with the carrots and pour the carrots into an ovenproof dish.
- Cook in the middle of a preheated oven (220°C/430F) for ca 40 minutes or until soft and brown around the edges.
- Mix in the chopped parsley and serve.