Recipe by Chef Kate
Recipe adapted from Avec Eric by Eric Ripert. Very easy, very delicious. There are great za'atar recipes posted on the site.
Top Review by COOKGIRl
I don't like stuffing a whole chicken. Here's what I did: used a pound of
free range chicken thighs pounded out very thinly. Made the stuffing mixture which included homemade za'atar and fresh parsley from the garden. Spooned the stuffing onto the thighs, rolled up and inserted a toothpick to keep closed. I whisked together a small amount of extra olive oil, s/p, lemon juice and the leftover stuffing spice/herb mixture at the bottom of the bowl of stuffing. Brushed that on the chicken and baked @ 375º for close to an hour. Garnished with fresh parsley and served over Recipe #366129. Mmm! Reviewed for NA*ME tag. PS I forgot to say that if you use chicken parts and not whole chicken, be sure to cut the bread cubes smaller.
- 1 (4 lb) chicken (approximately 4 pounds)
- 1⁄2 baguette, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic, plus
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated, divided
- 2 teaspoons za'atar spice mix
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 450. Rinse the chicken and pat it dry. Remove the wings and reserve.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the bread, parsley, minced garlic, za'atar and lemon zest and toss with ¼ cup of the olive oil to coat evenly. Season the stuffing with salt and pepper. Season the cavity of the chicken with salt and pepper and fill with the stuffing. Tie the legs together with kitchen string. Season the bird on the outside with salt and pepper and drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Place the reserved chicken wings in the center of a roasting pan and set the chicken on top of the wings. Roast for 20 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350° and add the garlic cloves to the pan. Continue roasting for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the juices run clear when the leg is pierced. Transfer the chicken to a platter and let it rest for at least 10 minutes before carving.
- 4. Place 2 slices each of breast and leg meat on each plate and spoon some of the stuffing alongside. Spoon some of the pan drippings over the chicken and serve immediately.