Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
It doesn't get any easier or more satisfying than this! I found this in the Chicago Sun-Times, originally printed in Biba's Northern Italian Cooking by Biba Caggiano.
- 1 (4 lb) roasting chickens, rinsed and patted dry
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 rosemary sprigs, chopped
- 6 -7 fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 lb potato, cut into large pieces
- 2 large carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into quarters
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Put chicken in a large roasting pan.
- Coat it with oil and rub it inside and out with rosemary, sage and garlic.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Place one half of lemon inside the chicken caviety and squeeze the other half over chicken.
- Roast 30-40 minutes, basting several times with pan juices.
- Add potatoes, carrots and peppers.
- Bake, basting chicken occasionally, 30-40 minutes longer or until juices from the thigh run clear when thigh is pierced with a fork.
This is delicious comfort food that provides everything you need for a meal in one pan. I actually added a few more carrots and substituted mushrooms for the red peppers. The fresh herbs lift this recipe from the ordinary to the sublime. I never tried using olive oil on my roast chicken before, and used it instead of butter with great results. Don't be afraid of the high heat...it works! Thanks HeyJude for making my favorite roast chicken even better.
great meal plan
This is a delicious way to fix moist, tender chicken. The chicken was seasoned throughout and the lemon served to enhance the rosemary and sage. I really enjoyed the fact that this meal could be put into the oven and only required minimal attention. Thanks for posting.