Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
For those of you who watched Top Chef on Bravo channel, you may recognize this as a dish Elia prepared. It was the only thing simple enough in the whole show I thought I could make. It is a wonderful never-fail dish. It sounds like a lot of work but really after you wash and cut the veggies, there's nothing to it. And clean-up is a breeze if you use heavy duty aluminum foil in the roasting pan. I leave out the zucchini because it gets too mushy for me. Even though this dish is a meal in itself, I usually prepare some stuffing to go along with all the buttery broth. The rosemary smell in the kitchen is indescribable.
- 1 whole chicken, giblets removed, legs tied together
- 2 cups butter, cut into pieces
- 5 carrots, cut in chunks (I use mini carrots instead)
- 5 zucchini, chunked (I use 2 large onions instead)
- 8 ounces whole mushrooms
- 12 ounces small dutch potatoes or 12 ounces fingerling potatoes
- 4 -6 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Rub chicken all over with 1/4 cup of the butter and salt and pepper generously.
- Combine vegetables and spread into one layer in the bottom of a roasting pan.
- Distribute remaining pieces of butter over vegetables and season with salt.
- Top with chicken and fresh herb sprigs.
- Roast 15-20 minutes per pound.
- Allow to sit a few minutes before carving.