I made this recipe up while trying to think of inexpensive ways to feed 10 people that were coming over for dinner. Whole chicken thighs or chicken marylands are the best cut for this, and the whole recipe can be made ahead and reheated very easily. I served this with garlic, herb and lemon fettucine, a loaf of sourdough bread, and a green salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 whole chicken thighs (skin and bone on) or 10 chicken, marylands
- salt and pepper
- 1 (400 g) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup white wine
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
- 2 small red chilies, finely diced
- 1 cup chopped fresh herb (such as parsley, basil, thyme, oregano, or mint)
- 1Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
- 2Place the chicken pieces on a roasting tray with a rack, skin side up. Rub the skin with a little salt.
- 3Roast for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked and the skin is fairly crispy.
- 4Meanwhile, warm the garlic and onion in the oil until fragrant. Add the chilli and capers and stir for a minute or two. Add all remaining ingredients except herbs, and lower heat. Leave to simmer while the chicken continues to cook, which will probably be about twenty minutes. It will start to thicken and become more full bodied in flavour.
- 5Place the chicken on a serving plate and pour the sauce over the top. Scatter with the fresh herbs and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Chicken With Tomato, Chilli and Caper Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (194 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 250.8
- Calories from Fat 142
- Total Fat 15.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 78.9 mg
- Sodium 314.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 17.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: