1/3 Photos of Roasted Chicken With Spring Vegetables and Lemon-Honey Sauce
1 hr 30 mins
Have you ever considered roasting your chicken vertically? Your results will be tender and juicy. You can buy vertical roasting stands in a store, or you can use your angel food cake pan insert! If you decided to use this method, after roasting, make sure you clean the insert completely of all traces of fat or your next cake may not rise well. This recipe comes from Cuisine at Home.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Chicken and Vegetables
- 1 (3 lb) whole chickens
- 12 medium red potatoes, trimmed around center
- 12 asparagus spears, trimmed, halved crosswise
- 3 carrots, cut into sticks
- olive oil
- paprika, to taste
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
For the Basting Liquid
For the Sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1/4 cup shallot, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 lemon, zest of, minced
- fresh chives, minced
- salt, to taste
- cayenne, to taste
- 1Preheat oven to 425°F with rack in lower third of oven so vertical chicken will not touch top of oven.
- 2Place removable insert from angel food cake pan (or use commercial roasting stand) in a 10" shallow pan (like a deep dish pie plate).
- 3Prepare chicken, trimming off all fat.
- 4Rub the chicken with oil, season with paprika, salt and pepper inside and out.
- 5Prop chicken, with legs down, on the tube of the cake pan insert, or vertical roaster.
- 6Toss prepared vegetables with oil, salt and pepper; keeping asparagus separate from potatoes and carrots.
- 7Arrange potatoes and carrots around the base of the chicken, then roast for 30 minutes.
- 8For the basting liquid, combine honey and lemon juice.
- 9After the chicken has roasted 30 minutes, brush it with some of the mixture.
- 10Add asparagus to pan, then roast 15 more minutes.
- 11Baste a second time, then roast chicken until it reached an internal temperature of 170 degrees in the thigh, about 15 more minutes.
- 12Allow chicken to rest 15 minutes before carving.
- 13While chicken is resting, prepare the sauce.
- 14In a saucepan over medium heat, sauté shallots and ginger in 1 TBS unsalted butter, cooking till soft.
- 15Add broth, wine, lemon juice, and honey.
- 16Simmer 15 minutes, or until reduced by half.
- 17Strain into a clean saucepan.
- 18Whisk in cream; bring to a boil.
- 19Mash 1 TBS unsalted butter and flour together.
- 20Add butter and flour mixture to finish the sauce and cook until slightly thickened.
- 21Stir in lemon zest, chives, and seasoning just before serving.
- 22Serve sauce over chicken and veggies.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Chicken With Spring Vegetables and Lemon-Honey Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (4495 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4683.6
- Calories from Fat 1715
- Total Fat 190.6 g
- Saturated Fat 69.4 g
- Cholesterol 784.2 mg
- Sodium 1895.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 523.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 52.9 g
- Sugars 109.3 g
- Protein 214.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of