Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Fantastic chicken and gravy that begs for mashed potatoes. It's roasted at 500 degrees so the skin is a deep golden brown and sooo crispy. Don't get me started on the gravy. Yum.
- 3 -4 lbs chicken
- coarse salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 medium onions
- 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 500°; rinse and dry chicken; sprinkle inside with salt and pepper; slice 2 onions crosswise into 1/4" thick rings and place in bottom of roasting pan; slice 1 lemon into 1/4" rings and place on top of onions.
- Cut remaining onion and lemon into wedges and stuff chicken cavity with them; tie legs together and place in roasting pan on onions and lemons; brush with melted butter.
- Roast, basting occasionally until temperature in thickest part of thigh is 165°, about 50-60 minutes; cover with foil if skin gets too brown; rest chicken while making gravy.
- Pour drippings, onion and lemon slices, and any browned bits in a skillet or saucepan over medium heat; stir in flour and combine thoroughly; add stock and cook, stirring, about 3 minutes, until gravy thickens; adjust seasoning.
- Strain and serve hot over chicken.
This was soooooooo good, my family loved it made on Saturday night for dinner and it was a hit. We had company that night and everybody wanted the recipe. Thanks for posting.
Fabulous!!! The chicken turned out perfect, just the way we like it....not too wet, not too dry. I couldn't stop picking at the skin, it was so crispy and so good. The gravy was excellent. It had a nice touch of lemon flavor to it....really, really good!! Thanks sugarpea for a definite keeper.
I made this tonight for dinner for my husband and his two friends and they all loved it! The gravy cooked up nicely and was poured over the chicken and mashed potatoes. This was served with a side of greens. Thanks for a great dinner!