Recipe by sugarpea
Fantastic chicken and gravy that begs for mashed potatoes. It's roasted at 500 degrees so the skin is a deep golden brown and sooo crispy. Don't get me started on the gravy. Yum.
- 3 -4 lbs chicken
- coarse salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 medium onions
- 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 500°; rinse and dry chicken; sprinkle inside with salt and pepper; slice 2 onions crosswise into 1/4" thick rings and place in bottom of roasting pan; slice 1 lemon into 1/4" rings and place on top of onions.
- Cut remaining onion and lemon into wedges and stuff chicken cavity with them; tie legs together and place in roasting pan on onions and lemons; brush with melted butter.
- Roast, basting occasionally until temperature in thickest part of thigh is 165°, about 50-60 minutes; cover with foil if skin gets too brown; rest chicken while making gravy.
- Pour drippings, onion and lemon slices, and any browned bits in a skillet or saucepan over medium heat; stir in flour and combine thoroughly; add stock and cook, stirring, about 3 minutes, until gravy thickens; adjust seasoning.
- Strain and serve hot over chicken.