Cook1 hr 30 mins
A nice flavorful change from the usual Sunday roast chicken. Makes a nice Fall dinner. Serve with roasted potatoes and steamed baby carrots.
- 1 whole chicken, about 4 lbs. (roaster)
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg, divided
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Remove excess fat from cavity of chicken.
- Combine orange zest, half of the nutmeg, butter, olive oil and half of the salt.
- Combine citrus juices and set aside.
- With fingers, gently loosen skin from breast and thigh/leg area. Put butter mixture under loosened skin, patting skin back into place to spread butter. Season with half of remaining nutmeg and salt.
- Place an oiled roasting rack in roasting pan. Place chicken (trussed if desired) breast side down. Roast 40 minutes. Carefully turn chicken breast side up and baste with cooking juices.
- Pour citrus juice over top of chicken and season with remaining salt and nutmeg, and pepper.
- Roast without basting another 40 minutes, or until internal temperature in leg/thigh area reaches 180ºF.
- Remove to cutting board and let rest 10 minutes before carving.