Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A nice flavorful change from the usual Sunday roast chicken. Makes a nice Fall dinner. Serve with roasted potatoes and steamed baby carrots.
- 1 whole chicken, about 4 lbs. (roaster)
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg, divided
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Remove excess fat from cavity of chicken.
- Combine orange zest, half of the nutmeg, butter, olive oil and half of the salt.
- Combine citrus juices and set aside.
- With fingers, gently loosen skin from breast and thigh/leg area. Put butter mixture under loosened skin, patting skin back into place to spread butter. Season with half of remaining nutmeg and salt.
- Place an oiled roasting rack in roasting pan. Place chicken (trussed if desired) breast side down. Roast 40 minutes. Carefully turn chicken breast side up and baste with cooking juices.
- Pour citrus juice over top of chicken and season with remaining salt and nutmeg, and pepper.
- Roast without basting another 40 minutes, or until internal temperature in leg/thigh area reaches 180ºF.
- Remove to cutting board and let rest 10 minutes before carving.
This was such a tender and juicy chicken, with wonderful yet, subtle flavors. The citrus and nutmeg were not as strong as I thought they would be based on the great aroma coming from the oven. But each bite had the perfect hint of both flavors! The cooking method resulted in even browning and a perfectly cooked chicken. Thanks for posting this recipe.Made for Went to Market tag game.
I've made this a couple times and I love it. The orange flavor really getts into every piece of chicken. Served it with Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes.
Well, you surely will know how much we enjoyed this, since we only have the other half of a 4.6 lb. roaster left. My goodness, simple enough to put together, and the taste and aroma of the chicken were captivating. I followed this exactly, but instead of the lemon juice, I used lime juice (thought I had a lemon). My chicken was yummy dreamy, between the oiled and buttered bird mixed with nutmeg, to the citrus juice that followed...it was so juicy, you would of thought the chicken was a Valencia orange itself it was that tender. Thanks mikekey. I used the citrus juice over a Tofurkey as well, and the taste was equally as fabulous, that is, if you like Tofurkey. Will use this often!