Recipe by Outta Here
A nice flavorful change from the usual Sunday roast chicken. Makes a nice Fall dinner. Serve with roasted potatoes and steamed baby carrots.
Top Review by Chef Jean
This was such a tender and juicy chicken, with wonderful yet, subtle flavors. The citrus and nutmeg were not as strong as I thought they would be based on the great aroma coming from the oven. But each bite had the perfect hint of both flavors! The cooking method resulted in even browning and a perfectly cooked chicken. Thanks for posting this recipe.Made for Went to Market tag game.
- 1 whole chicken, about 4 lbs. (roaster)
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg, divided
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Remove excess fat from cavity of chicken.
- Combine orange zest, half of the nutmeg, butter, olive oil and half of the salt.
- Combine citrus juices and set aside.
- With fingers, gently loosen skin from breast and thigh/leg area. Put butter mixture under loosened skin, patting skin back into place to spread butter. Season with half of remaining nutmeg and salt.
- Place an oiled roasting rack in roasting pan. Place chicken (trussed if desired) breast side down. Roast 40 minutes. Carefully turn chicken breast side up and baste with cooking juices.
- Pour citrus juice over top of chicken and season with remaining salt and nutmeg, and pepper.
- Roast without basting another 40 minutes, or until internal temperature in leg/thigh area reaches 180ºF.
- Remove to cutting board and let rest 10 minutes before carving.