1/1 Photo of Roasted Chicken With Nutmeg and Orange
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
A nice flavorful change from the usual Sunday roast chicken. Makes a nice Fall dinner. Serve with roasted potatoes and steamed baby carrots.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 whole chicken, about 4 lbs. (roaster)
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg, divided
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ground black pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 375º F.
- 2Remove excess fat from cavity of chicken.
- 3Combine orange zest, half of the nutmeg, butter, olive oil and half of the salt.
- 4Combine citrus juices and set aside.
- 5With fingers, gently loosen skin from breast and thigh/leg area. Put butter mixture under loosened skin, patting skin back into place to spread butter. Season with half of remaining nutmeg and salt.
- 6Place an oiled roasting rack in roasting pan. Place chicken (trussed if desired) breast side down. Roast 40 minutes. Carefully turn chicken breast side up and baste with cooking juices.
- 7Pour citrus juice over top of chicken and season with remaining salt and nutmeg, and pepper.
- 8Roast without basting another 40 minutes, or until internal temperature in leg/thigh area reaches 180ºF.
- 9Remove to cutting board and let rest 10 minutes before carving.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Chicken With Nutmeg and Orange
Serving Size: 1 (238 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 785.2
- Calories from Fat 534
- Total Fat 59.4 g
- Saturated Fat 17.5 g
- Cholesterol 251.4 mg
- Sodium 518.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 57.4 g