1/1 Photo of Roasted Chicken With Lemon, Garlic and Thyme
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
A delicious, easy, foolproof recipe from Martha Stewart's Living magazine- February, 2008 edition. (You don't even need a roasting rack!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Let the butter and chicken stand at room temperature for 3o minutes or so.
- 2Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- 3Remove and discard any giblets, excess fat, and plastic pop-up timer, if there is one.
- 4To prevent burning, tuck the chicken's wing tips under the body.
- 5Season the cavity of the chicken, liberally, with salt and pepper.
- 6Roll the lemon back and forth on the counter to get the juices going. Pierce the entire surface of the lemon with the fork.
- 7Smash up the garlic cloves- the side of a knife does this well.
- 8Insert lemon, garlic and thyme into the cavity of the bird.
- 9Arrange the onion slices in the center of a heavy-duty roasting pan. (Arranging the onions in overlapping rows works great) Place the chicken on top with the breast side up. Tie the chicken legs together with kitchen twine.
- 10Spread the softened butter over the entire surface of the chicken. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- 11Roast the chicken until skin is crisp and the skin is a nice golden brown. The juices should run clear when the chicken is pierced with a fork- about 1 1/2 hours. The chicken will be cooked perfectly when an instant-read thermometer (inserted into the breast- then thigh) will read 165 degrees.
- 12Garnish with sprigs of thyme.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Chicken With Lemon, Garlic and Thyme
Serving Size: 1 (515 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1005.0
- Calories from Fat 653
- Total Fat 72.6 g
- Saturated Fat 21.7 g
- Cholesterol 328.4 mg
- Sodium 327.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 76.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: