Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Herbs de Provence can be hard to find. Try one of the health food stores or gourmet stores that sell bulk spices in little, plastic bags. This seasoning makes a nice change from the usual flavors Americans use with chicken. Its different without being weird. Garlic and a dash of sherry rounds out the flavor for a simple but delicious meal.
- Wash and prep chicken. Place in roaster.
- Peel the garlic clove by whacking it with the flat of a knife (yes, you could just take the peel off, but the smashing/bruising releases the flavor as well as removing the peel).
- Put the garlic into the chicken's cavity.
- Put 1/2 the sherry into the cavity and sprinkle half over the chicken's breast.
- Sprinkle the Herbs de Provence over the chicken.
- Roast, covered, at 350F for 60-90 minutes depending on the size of the chicken then remove the lid and roast uncovered another 15-30 minutes until the skin is crisp and the chicken is fully cooked.
- If you want a sauce either use the pan juices to make gravy or deglaze the pan with a little white wine. Either would be delicious.