Prep 24 hrs
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
adapted from BBC's Good Food, May 2002. NOTE: You may wish to parboil the potatoes is you prefer them to be very soft. The original version does not parboil them, which will result in quite firm roast potatoes. Parboil the potatoes by cooking them in boiling water just until they begin to become fork tender, but not fully cooked.
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 4 -8 sprigs fresh rosemary, lightly crushed
- 1 -2 pinch brown sugar, to taste
- 2 lemons
- 8 -12 chicken drumsticks or 8 -12 chicken thighs, with bones and skin
- 4 heads garlic
- 2 lbs new potatoes, cut into halves (waxy skinned, the mini size ones)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Whisk together oil, mustard, vinegar, and herbs.
- Season to taste with a bit of salt & pepper and a large pinch or two of brown sugar.
- Cut lemon in half, zest that half and reserve; juice the same lemon half and add juice to marinade.
- Place chicken in a non-metal dish and pour marinade on top to coat.
- Cut the other whole lemon into halves and add three lemon halves to the chicken, marinate for several hours in the fridge, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Cut a thin slice of of the top of each garlic head, exposing the cloves.
- Drain marinade into a large roasting pan (big enough to also hold chicken later on) and add potatoes and garlic heads, tossing to coat then making sure the garlic heads are sitting upright again- roast for 20-30 minutes.
- Set chicken chicken on top, scraping in any remaining bits of rosemary, lemons, etc.
- Using tongs, toss to mix with veggies, then make sure chicken is skin side up (and garlic heads are upright again).
- Season well with salt & pepper (be generous), to taste.
- Roast for another 45-60 minutes or until potatoes are cooked and chicken is golden and crisp, fully cooked through, and juices ruin clear, garlic is mushy.
- Combine the reserved lemon zest and parsley and sprinkle over the chicken.
- Serve immediately, telling guests to squeeze out the garlic and then spread with a knife onto the chicken pieces and potatoes as desired.