1/1 Photo of Roasted Chicken With Herbed Potatoes
25 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 15 mins
adapted from BBC's Good Food, May 2002. NOTE: You may wish to parboil the potatoes is you prefer them to be very soft. The original version does not parboil them, which will result in quite firm roast potatoes. Parboil the potatoes by cooking them in boiling water just until they begin to become fork tender, but not fully cooked.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 4 -8 sprigs fresh rosemary, lightly crushed
- 1 -2 pinch brown sugar, to taste
- 2 lemons
- 8 -12 chicken drumsticks or 8 -12 chicken thighs, with bones and skin
- 4 heads garlic
- 2 lbs new potatoes, cut into halves (waxy skinned, the mini size ones)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1Whisk together oil, mustard, vinegar, and herbs.
- 2Season to taste with a bit of salt & pepper and a large pinch or two of brown sugar.
- 3Cut lemon in half, zest that half and reserve; juice the same lemon half and add juice to marinade.
- 4Place chicken in a non-metal dish and pour marinade on top to coat.
- 5Cut the other whole lemon into halves and add three lemon halves to the chicken, marinate for several hours in the fridge, or overnight.
- 6Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- 7Cut a thin slice of of the top of each garlic head, exposing the cloves.
- 8Drain marinade into a large roasting pan (big enough to also hold chicken later on) and add potatoes and garlic heads, tossing to coat then making sure the garlic heads are sitting upright again- roast for 20-30 minutes.
- 9Set chicken chicken on top, scraping in any remaining bits of rosemary, lemons, etc.
- 10Using tongs, toss to mix with veggies, then make sure chicken is skin side up (and garlic heads are upright again).
- 11Season well with salt & pepper (be generous), to taste.
- 12Roast for another 45-60 minutes or until potatoes are cooked and chicken is golden and crisp, fully cooked through, and juices ruin clear, garlic is mushy.
- 13Combine the reserved lemon zest and parsley and sprinkle over the chicken.
- 14Serve immediately, telling guests to squeeze out the garlic and then spread with a knife onto the chicken pieces and potatoes as desired.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Chicken With Herbed Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (199 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 376.3
- Calories from Fat 181
- Total Fat 20.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 59.1 mg
- Sodium 88.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 18.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: