Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe looked so good I wanted to save it before I lost it. I hope to try it soon. I found it in Longo's Experience magazine where it's part of an add for Maple Leaf Foods. It's a combination of sweet figs, carmelized onion and roast chicken. It's easy to make and looks good enough for company. Tip: To get a correct reading when using a thermometer, make sure itï¿½s not touching any bone, and is inserted in the dark meat, which takes longer to cook.
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind, finely grated
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped plus 1 whole sprig
- 1 lemon, rinsed and quartered
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 whole chicken, about 3-1/2 lbs (1.5 kg)
- 2 medium onions, cut into eighths
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 fresh figs, whole, halved and quartered or 2 peaches, halved and quartered
- rosemary sprig (to garnish)
- 1 lemon, rinsed and quartered (optional)
- Combine the lemon rind, parsley, garlic, chopped rosemary, and olive oil. Coat the chicken with this mixture, and place the whole sprig of rosemary and half the lemon into the cavity of the chicken,and reserving half lemon for placing around pan when roasting.
- Place the chicken in a roasting pan and arrange the onion and remaining lemon half around it, sprinkling with the soy sauce and oil.
- (Optional: Add an additional quartered lemon to pan, to roast around the chicken, and add as a garnish to each serving.).
- Roast the chicken in a 375 degree F (190 degree C) oven for 45 minutes.
- Arrange the figs around the chicken, and continue to cook for about 30 to 45 minutes until done ,or when the temperature reaches 185 degrees F (85 degrees C) when measured with a thermometer in the thigh (see tip in recipe description).
- Discarding the half lemon and rosemary sprig; transfer the chicken, onions, and figs to a platter and serve garnished with fresh rosemary.
This was really great!! I don't roast chickens that often, we usually eat boneless chicken, but this is an exception! The chicken was seasoned perfectly and the addition of the figs and onions gives it a nice sweetness. Made for I Recommend Tag.
Although I'm not much into roasting whole chickens, from past experience I knew that I'd need to turn my oven temperature up to 375 degrees F AND increase the roasting time some! So in the directions (Step 4) I baked the chicken for 55 minutes & in the next step for almost 25 minutes more! All in a good cause, since the chicken turned out just great & we thoroughly enjoyed the combo of flavors ~ Very, very nice! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]