Cook1 hr 15 mins
Gather friends together for this delightful "social" chicken dinner. Because you can prepare the salsa ahead of time and the chicken roasts long enough for you to have a cocktail and hors d'oeuvres before dinner, you can throw the party and enjoy it too.
- 1 (3 lb) whole broiler-fryer chickens
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄3 cup dried tart cherry
- 1 1⁄3 cups orange sections, halved
- 2 nectarines, pitted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Remove skin from chicken (except for wings). Tie legs to tail. Twist wing tips under back. Place chicken, breast side up; on a rack in a roasting pan. In a bowl combine oil and garlic; brush onto chicken. In another small bowl combine cinnamon, salt, nutmet, and black pepper. Sprinkle spice mixture evenly over chicken.
- Roast chicken, uncovered in a 375 degree F oven for 1 hour. Remove string from legs. Brush honey over chicken. Roast about 15 minutes more or until drumsticks move easily in their sockets, chicken is no longer pink, and meat thermometer registers 180 degrees F when inserted into center of an inide thigh muscle. Remove chicken from oven. Cover, let stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for salsa, place cherries in a small saucepan; cover with water. Bring to boiling; remove from heat. Cover; let stand 5 minutes. Drain well. In a bowl combine cherries, orange sections, nectarines, chopped cilantro, jalapeno pepper, and lime juice. Cover; chill until ready to serve. Serve with chicken. If desired, garnish with cilantro sprigs.