Recipe by sugarpea
Roasted chicken smeared with roasted garlic and served with golden, sweet onions. So good. You can roast the garlic and caramelize the onions ahead to make the cooking and prep time more manageable.
Top Review by bikerchick
This is soo good! The Beau especially loved the carmelized onions (he was putting them on everything else with the meal!), he'll be asking me to make those on their own again. The chicken smeared with garlic was wonderful, the garlic pre-cooked in the milk made it mild so The Beau didn't even notice that it was garlic smeared over the top of his chicken (he's not a garlic lover, as I am). I did all steps in the oven, broiling the chicken instead of browning on the stove top and roasting the garlic at the same time as the chicken. Thanks for a great recipe, sugarpea!
- 1 1⁄2 heads garlic, separated and peeled
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, cut into 1 ",pieces
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 8 pieces chicken, about 3 pounds
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°; bring garlic and milk to boil; drain and discard milk; in a small metal baking pan toss garlic with 1 T oil; roast 13 minutes or until golden; cool a bit and put the garlic and it's cooking oil in a food processor; process to a paste; sprinkle with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Saute the onions in the butter and 1 T oil over medium-low heat; cook until golden, about 40 minutes; add vinegar, thyme and bay leaf and simmer until liquid is reduced by half, about 3 minutes; stir in cream and salt and pepper; set aside.
- While the onions are sauteing, preheat the oven to 450°; heat the remaining 1 T of oil in a large skillet; salt and pepper the chicken; place skin side down in skillet and cook until golden brown on one side only, about 4 minutes.
- Place chicken, skin side up, on a rimmed baking sheet and roast until internal temperature is 180°; spread garlic paste atop chicken pieces and bake another 5 minutes, until golden brown.
- Rewarm onions over medium-low heat; to serve plate onions and place 2 pieces of chicken atop them; garnish with parsley.