1/5 Photos of Roasted Chicken Pot Pie
2 hrs 55 mins
The ultimate roasted chicken pot pie. Can be made mostly in advance.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 lb) chicken
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch chunks (Yukon Gold)
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 24 white pearl onions, peeled & left whole
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 mushrooms, halved or quartered if large
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped rosemary
- 2 tablespoons chopped thyme
- 1 cup peas, defrosted if frozen
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 6 tablespoons butter (or less)
- 6 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 puff pastry (hommade or purchased)
- 1/2 egg yolk, beaten
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1Roast the Chicken& Vegetables: Preheat oven to 375º.
- 2Rub chicken with 1 T olive oil& sprinkle generously, inside& out, with salt& pepper.
- 3Toss potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, mushrooms,& herbs with remaining 2 T olive oil& some salt& pepper.
- 4Set the chicken breast-side down in a large flameproof roasting pan& scatter the vegetables around the chicken.
- 5Roast for 1 1/4 hours, stirring vegetables several times.
- 6Remove chicken form the pan to cool.
- 7Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon& set aside in a bowl with the peas.
- 8Don't clean out the roasting pan.
- 9When the chicken has cooled (at least 15 minutes) pull the meat form the bones, discarding skin& bones.
- 10Cut meat into small chunks (1/2" to 1") & set aside (do this after the sauce is made or while someone else is making the sauce).
- 11Make the Sauce: If there are not a lot of juices & fat in the pan, skip to step 15.
- 12If there are, pour the fat & juices into a measuring cup or gravy separator; separate the fat from the juice.
- 13Add juices to the chicken stock& add enough butter to the fat to make 6 T total fat & butter.
- 14Put the roasting pan (which should still have caramelized bits in it from the chicken& vegetables) on the stove over medium heat.
- 15Pour in the 6 T fat+butter; when melted & bubbling, add flour & stir constantly to make a smooth roux.
- 16Scrape up any caramelized bits.
- 17Cook the roux, stirring constantly, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- 18Add the stock, bring to a boil,& simmer.
- 19Continue to stir & scrape the bottom of the pan.
- 20Cook the sauce for at least 15 minutes, whisking occasionally, until it is as thick as heavy cream.
- 21Season with salt, pepper,& more herbs to taste.
- 22Make the Egg Wash: Whisk together the egg yolk& cream.
- 23Set aside.
- 24Assemble the Pot Pie (s): Preheat oven to 400º.
- 25Choose 4 ovenproof bowls (18 oz each) OR a 2-qt casserole.
- 26Cut out a circle template of foil or paper that is about the size of the rim of each bowl or casserole.
- 27Divide the chicken, vegetables,& sauce among the dishes.
- 28Place on a baking sheet (to catch any drips in the oven).
- 29For individual pies: On a floured board, cut the dough into 4 pieces.
- 30Quickly roll out each piece into a larger circle than the circle template (the extra dough will drape down the sides of the bowls).
- 31Remember to work quickly so the butter in the pastry doesn't start to melt- you may need to sprinkle dough to keep the pastry from sticking.
- 32As each one is rolled out, place on top of the filled bowls, pressing along the edges.
- 33For one large pie, lay the dough on a floured board& roll out to a the same shape, but larger than, the casserole template (the extra dough will drape down the side).
- 34Remember to work fast so the butter in the pastry doesn't start to melt- you may need to sprinkle dough to keep the pastry from sticking.
- 35Lay the dough on top of the filled casserole& press along the edges.
- 36Brush the Egg Wash onto the pastry with a pastry brush.
- 37You do not need to make any vent holes- steam will escape along the edges of the pastry.
- 38Bake for 30 to 55 minutes, until the crust is thoroughly browned& puffed.
- 39NOTES: Advance Preparation: The Puff Pastry and the filling (chicken, vegetables,& sauce mixed together) can be made 1 to 2 days ahead of time& refrigerated.
- 40The Puff can even be frozen for a few weeks.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Chicken Pot Pie
Serving Size: 1 (1208 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1153.0
- Calories from Fat 607
- Total Fat 67.4 g
- Saturated Fat 25.3 g
- Cholesterol 248.4 mg
- Sodium 669.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.4 g
- Sugars 24.1 g
- Protein 55.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: