Recipe by ellie_
This chicken is so juicy and tender -- plus it doesn't heat up the kitchen! The only problem I had when I made this was making sure the grill stays hot -- you may need to add extra charcoal if using a charcoal grill. If following the WW flex plan this is 4 points/serving and it is also a core food. Recipe source: Weight Watchers Sizzle it Cookbook.
Top Review by IngridH
I really enjoyed this! I had chicken pieces, so just made the herb mixture and smeared under the skin before cooking. I had to roast rather than grill, as I was out of propane, but it turned out excellent anyway. I love that this has so little oil in it, great flavor without all of the extra calories. Thanks for posting a great recipe!
- 2 cups hickory chips (or your favorite wood chips)
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary (or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary)
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) roasting chickens (discard giblets)
- 1 lemon, cut into 4 wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove grill rack and preheat grill to medium.
- Soak wood chips in a pan of water for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine next 6 ingredients (rosemary - salt) in a small cup ( I used a saucer).
- With your fingers loosen the skin on the chicken breasts, legs and thighs. Rub herb mixture under the skin and then pull skin back into place.
- Put the lemon wedges, garlic cloves and rosemary sprigs into chicken cavity. Tuck the wings under the chicken and tie the legs together with kitchen string.
- Drain wood chips. If using a gas grill, place the chips in a disposable foil pan wit a few holes poked in and place on a lit burner. If using a charcoal grill, sprinkle chips over the coals. Spray grill rack with Pam and place back on the grill.
- Place chicken breast side up on the cooler portion of the grill. Grill covered without turning for 1 1/2 hours or until meal thermometer registers 180 degrees F. (See note in description if using a charcoal grill).
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board and let stand for 10 minutes before carving.
- Discard ingredients in cavity and cut chicken into 6 servings. If following WW remove skin before eating or add points for the chicken skin.