Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This chicken is so juicy and tender -- plus it doesn't heat up the kitchen! The only problem I had when I made this was making sure the grill stays hot -- you may need to add extra charcoal if using a charcoal grill. If following the WW flex plan this is 4 points/serving and it is also a core food. Recipe source: Weight Watchers Sizzle it Cookbook.
- 2 cups hickory chips (or your favorite wood chips)
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary (or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary)
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) roasting chickens (discard giblets)
- 1 lemon, cut into 4 wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- Remove grill rack and preheat grill to medium.
- Soak wood chips in a pan of water for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine next 6 ingredients (rosemary - salt) in a small cup ( I used a saucer).
- With your fingers loosen the skin on the chicken breasts, legs and thighs. Rub herb mixture under the skin and then pull skin back into place.
- Put the lemon wedges, garlic cloves and rosemary sprigs into chicken cavity. Tuck the wings under the chicken and tie the legs together with kitchen string.
- Drain wood chips. If using a gas grill, place the chips in a disposable foil pan wit a few holes poked in and place on a lit burner. If using a charcoal grill, sprinkle chips over the coals. Spray grill rack with Pam and place back on the grill.
- Place chicken breast side up on the cooler portion of the grill. Grill covered without turning for 1 1/2 hours or until meal thermometer registers 180 degrees F. (See note in description if using a charcoal grill).
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board and let stand for 10 minutes before carving.
- Discard ingredients in cavity and cut chicken into 6 servings. If following WW remove skin before eating or add points for the chicken skin.
I really enjoyed this! I had chicken pieces, so just made the herb mixture and smeared under the skin before cooking. I had to roast rather than grill, as I was out of propane, but it turned out excellent anyway. I love that this has so little oil in it, great flavor without all of the extra calories. Thanks for posting a great recipe!
Oh my goodness!!! This had fantastic flavor. We did add some black pepper but other then that I followed your recipe. I made this last night with Mashed Potato Muffins , Oven-Roasted Corn on the Cob , Go-Go Garlic Bread and followed it later that evening with Cake Batter Ice Cream. This chicken was the hit of the night, very good. I used my fresh herbs from my garden....yummy. Thank you so much for posting, I'm planning on making this again this summer while the fresh herbs are still plentiful. Made for Newest Zaar Tag.