Recipe by Cindy Starke
Great soup, warm and comforting. I make it with homemade noodles for a real treat. Freezes well.
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups dried egg noodles or 2 cups fresh egg noodles
Directions See How It's Made
- Roast chicken thighs in roasting pan at 400 degrees until skin is golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Discard all but 2-3 tablespoons of fat. Scatter vegetables in roasting pan around chicken, and stir to coat with fat. Roast 15 minutes more, stirring vegetables occasionally.
- Transfer chicken and vegetables to large soup pot.
- Deglaze roasting pan with one cup water over (or wine or stock, if desired)over medium heat. Pour into soup pot.
- Add cold water to just cover chicken. Bring to boil over high heat, skimming as necessary. Add thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken and set aside until cool enough to handle (about 20 minutes). Meanwhile, keep soup simmering.
- Remove skin and bone from chicken and cut into bite size pieces. Return chicken to pot.
- Add egg noodles and cook until tender.