Recipe by Pinay0618
This is my favorite kind of food ... simple ingredients, simple preparation, total comfort flavor. Recipe is from Food and Wine.
Top Review by SonnyHavens
A nice and filling one dish meal. No complaints other than it was a bit bland which is probably my fault for not being liberal enough with salt and pepper. The lemon wedges were a nice addition. I used 6 thighs, 9 legs (trimmed of excess fat) and two large bunches of kale (slightly less than 1 1/2 lbs before stems and ribs removed). We love paprika but there wasn't enough to taste it. A few changes will be made next time - only one bunch of kale, will double onions and potatoes, will remove rubbery thigh skin right before serving and will use a favorite rotisserie seasoning on top. Thanks for this keeper kale recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs kale, stems and inner ribs removed
- 1 1⁄2 lbs medium yukon gold potatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 8 whole chicken legs (about 10 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- lemon wedge, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 450°. In a very large roasting pan, toss the kale, potatoes and onion with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and spread in an even layer.
- Set the chicken on a cutting board, skin side down. Slice halfway through the joint between the drumsticks and thighs. Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with the paprika and set on top of the vegetables.
- Cover the pan with foil. Roast the chicken in the upper third of the oven for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and roast for 30 minutes longer, until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender. Transfer the chicken to plates and spoon the vegetables alongside. Serve with lemon wedges.