Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
When we moved into our first house a few years ago, we were lucky enough to have the most fabulous italian plum trees. This was the first recipe I made that first summer with my plums. It is soooo good. I like dark meat chicken with the skin on (I am not ashamed!!!). But I'm sure you can make with white meat and save a few calories. It is easy and pretty quick, I hope you'll enjoy it!!
- 8 whole chicken legs (thighs attached)
- 1 lb Italian plum, ripe and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced and mashed to a paste with
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon light sesame oil
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice, fresh squeezed
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh gingerroot, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- ripe plum, wedges
- lime wedge
- fresh mint leaves, whole
- For the marinade.
- In a food processor puree plums, garlic paste, sesame oil, soy sauce, orange juice, vinegar, sugar, jalapeño, gingerroot, mustard and black pepper to taste until mixture is smooth. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- In a large saucepan bring the marinade to a boil, simmer, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes or until reduced to about 2 cups. Let cool.
- Prick the chicken in several places with a fork. Arrange chicken in a large shallow dish in one layer. Pour the marinade over the chicken reserving 1/4 cup for topping the finished dish. Let the chicken marinate covered and chilled (turning it once) for at least one hour or preferably overnight.
- Transfer the chicken to an oiled rack set over a foil lined roasting pan.
- Spoon the marinade over the chicken and roast the chicken in the upper third of a preheated 450-degree oven for 30 –35 minutes or until cooked through.
- When chicken is finished cooking, arrange on a platter and top with the 1/4 cup of reserved marinade as well as garnishes: plum wedges, lime wedges and whole mint leaves.