1 hr 30 mins
In 'Autumn Gatherings' by Rick Rodgers
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for the pan
- 4 medium red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 4 bone-in skin-on chicken breast halves (about 10 oz. each)
- 1 cup canned low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, chilled
- 1Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat the oven to 425°.
- 2Lightly oil a roasting pan.
- 3Toss the potatoes, carrots, turnip, and parsnip in a large bowl with the oil, 1 teaspoon of the thyme, 3/4 t. salt, adn 1/2 t. pepper.
- 4Spread in the roasting pan.
- 5Season the chicken with the remaining 3/4 t. salt and 1/2 t. pepper, then sprinkle with the remaining 1 t. thyme.
- 6Nestle the chicken, skin side up, among the vegetables.
- 7Roast, occasionally scraping up and turning the vegetables with a metal spatula, until the vegetables are tender and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the chicken breasts reads 170°, about 35 minutes.
- 8Transfer the chicken and vegetables to a platter.
- 9If the chicken is tender before the vegetables are done, tent the chicken with foil, then continue roasting the vegetables.
- 10In either case, tent the platter while making the pan sauce.
- 11Place the roasting pan over 2 burners on high heat.
- 12Add the broth and bring to a boil, scraping up the browned bits in the bottom and sides of the pan.
- 13Boil until reduced to about 1/3 cup, about 5 minutes.
- 14Remove from the heat, and whisk in the butter to lightly thicken the sauce.
- 15Pour over the chicken and vegetables and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Chicken Breasts With Root Vegetables and Thyme
Serving Size: 1 (420 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 391.4
- Calories from Fat 154
- Total Fat 17.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 54.0 mg
- Sodium 1016.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 21.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: