Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Colorful and easy salad to make in advance to serve chilled or room temperature. Using rotisserie chicken limits cooking to boiling pasta. Transports easily. Has a "Greek" flavor, but not traditional. Easily modified for size of group or individual tastes. Add other vegetables (mushrooms, zucchini) as desired. I'm always asked where I bought the salad, I'm assuming that's a compliment.
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons plain vinegar or 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup orzo pasta, uncooked
- 1 rotisserie-cooked chicken, shredded fine
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot (shredded or diced)
- 1 (8 ounce) jar marinated artichokes, diced
- 1 cup kalamata olive, halved
- 2 -3 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2-1 cup crumbled feta (try the pepper or tomato basil feta)
- Whisk dressing ingredients together.
- Boil orzo pasta in salted water until al dente. Drain reserving some pasta water.
- Place orzo (warm pasta will absorb more of the dressing) and shredded chicken in a large bowl. Add 4 TB of dressing and toss to coat.
- Add 2 TB pasta water to remaining dressing.
- Add remaining ingredients to orzo and chicken. Toss and refrigerate from 1 hour to overnight.
- Toss with remaining dressing before serving.
Great salad. I did add Dijon mustard to the dressing and I added spinach tortellini, red pepper and heart of palm to the salad itself, for more veggies and color.