Recipe by danica.crystal
This is a creamy and healthy corn chowder recipe from the eat, shrink and be merry cookbook.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Loved your chowder & will be keeping the recipe around so I can make it again & again! Delicious & wonderful! The only change I made was to include a 2nd can of the creamed corn, but otherwise I stuck to the recipe as given! Thanks so much for posting it! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's round of Pick A Chef]
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh thyme, minced (or 1 tsp dried)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (12 ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 (19 ounce) can diced tomatoes, well drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 2 cups roasted chicken breast, chopped
- 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce, hickory flavor
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook chopped bacon over med-high heat in a large soup pot until lightly browned.
- Add onions, celery, red pepper, and garlic and cook until vegetables start to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the thyme and flour.
- Add chicken broth and evaporated milk. Bring to a gentle boil and stir until soup starts to thicken.
- Reduce the heat to med-low. Add remaining ingredients.
- Simmer, covered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.