Recipe by Panhandle Sam
I made this from ingredients that I ALWAYS have on hand, and I have to adimit, it's pretty good. The meat always turns out juicy, and the skin flavorful and crispy.
Top Review by Chris U.
Wonderful recipe! I made the following substitutions - lemon juice for lemons, jarred minced garlic for the garlic cloves and Old Bay for the poultry seasoning. Did not use rosemary as we are not a big fans. I used a 6.3 lb chicken and it came out very moist. The butter under the skin was a help I'm sure. For a gal who doesn't roast many chickens (we usually put them on the BBQ) I was very happy. This is going in my recipe book! Thank you :)
- 1 whole roasting chicken
- 29.58 ml oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 44.37 ml butter
- 1 onion
- 2 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 lemon
- salt and pepper
- poultry seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Brush the bottom of an 8X11 glass baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the oil.
- Rinse chicken thoroughly, inside and out, then pat dry with a paper towel.
- Rub the chicken with remaining oil, salt and pepper, and place in baking dish, breast side up.
- Run your fingers underneath the skin, and place 1/2 tablespoon of butter on each breast, and under the skin.
- Chop onion into chunks, and slice lemon in half and then each half into fours.
- Stuff half of the onions and lemons, all of the garlic, the remaining butter, and one sprig of rosemary into the cavity. Close the opening with the toothpics.
- Tuck the wings back and under the chicken. Arrange the remaining onions, lemon, and rosemary in the pan surrounding the chicken.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the chicken seasoning.
- Bake for 30 minutes, per pound. Baste every 30 minutes.