Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I made this from ingredients that I ALWAYS have on hand, and I have to adimit, it's pretty good. The meat always turns out juicy, and the skin flavorful and crispy.
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Brush the bottom of an 8X11 glass baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the oil.
- Rinse chicken thoroughly, inside and out, then pat dry with a paper towel.
- Rub the chicken with remaining oil, salt and pepper, and place in baking dish, breast side up.
- Run your fingers underneath the skin, and place 1/2 tablespoon of butter on each breast, and under the skin.
- Chop onion into chunks, and slice lemon in half and then each half into fours.
- Stuff half of the onions and lemons, all of the garlic, the remaining butter, and one sprig of rosemary into the cavity. Close the opening with the toothpics.
- Tuck the wings back and under the chicken. Arrange the remaining onions, lemon, and rosemary in the pan surrounding the chicken.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the chicken seasoning.
- Bake for 30 minutes, per pound. Baste every 30 minutes.
Wonderful recipe! I made the following substitutions - lemon juice for lemons, jarred minced garlic for the garlic cloves and Old Bay for the poultry seasoning. Did not use rosemary as we are not a big fans. I used a 6.3 lb chicken and it came out very moist. The butter under the skin was a help I'm sure. For a gal who doesn't roast many chickens (we usually put them on the BBQ) I was very happy. This is going in my recipe book! Thank you :)
What a fabulous simple recipe! The taste was outstanding and my whole family enjoyed it. It was so enjoyable for my dh who is normally very picky that he called me at work and asked for chicken this way again. He never does that. I loved the tang of the lemon, the herbs. I did use dried rosemary since I didn't have any fresh, but it was still fabulous. This was made for Fall PAC 2008.