1/7 Photos of Roasted Chestnuts Oven or Stove Top
This is a pretty simple recipe made stove top. These are great to bring on a winter snow covered walk to keep warm. Do use an oven mitt to remove the chestnuts from the cookie sheet for they will burn ya!. Use dry, firm chestnuts; very soft and very hard chestnuts might be rotted. An overcooked chestnut is dried out and hard. Cover the chestnuts with a towel to keep them warm while serving. Try a little salt on your chestnuts. If the inner skins do not come off easily, the chestnut is either undercooked or overcooked Be sure to immobilize the chestnut with a dish towel, oven pad, oven mitt, so it will keep the chestnut from rolling when cutting. If you don't score them they will explode in the oven! The inner skin, called the pellicle, can be eaten or removed.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Toss chestnuts with oil.
- 2In a dry pan over low heat heat pan till hot, then add chestnuts cover and stir every few minutes for 15 minutes.
- 3Add water and continue to roast, covered and stirring until water is evaporated and chestnuts are tender about 5 minutes.
- 4Serve hot with salt.
- 5Or Oven method:.
- 6Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- 7Roast unseasoned chestnuts for 20 to 30 minutes or until chestnuts are tender, easy to peel, golden brown in color, and the shells are beginning to open. For even roasting, gently stir to turn them over after about 10 minutes. The sliced part of the shells will curl back.
- 8Remove the nuts from the oven, make a mound of them in an old towel, wrap them up, squeeze them hard -- they should crackle -- and let them sit for a few minutes.
- 9Meanwhile open a bottle of vino, pour yourself a glass, Peel nuts when they are cool enough to handle, and serve with salt if desired. Because hot chestnuts peel easier than cold ones.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Chestnuts Oven or Stove Top
Serving Size: 1 (75 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 145.6
- Calories from Fat 19
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 1.1 g