Recipe by Bergy
Chestnuts roasting on an open fire etc Errr oven/frypan. This is a lovely surprise Christmas treat for family & friends. There are many ways to roast chestnuts but this is my favorite
Top Review by RonLew
Nice touch. To ensure that they are easy to peel, wrap them in a few layers of newspaper as soon as they come out of the oven. This steams them makes them easy to peel. See the video in the following link. http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipe/252/Roast-chestnuts
- 1 lb fresh chestnuts, washed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider or 1⁄4 cup berentzen apfelkorn apple liqueur
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cut an X in the top of each chestnut but be very careful not to cut into the flesh.
- Place the chestnuts in a single layer on a cookie sheet and roast for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool the nuts until you can handle them and then peel them.
- Just before serving heat the oil in a fry pan large enough to hold the nuts in a single layer.
- Stir fry until light golden brown, remove from pan and with a paper towel remove any excess oil.
- Add the apple cider/ liquer, use high heat and reduce to apprx half.
- Return Chestnuts to pan, stir to glaze, add salt& pepper.
- Serve hot.