Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Chestnuts roasting on an open fire etc Errr oven/frypan. This is a lovely surprise Christmas treat for family & friends. There are many ways to roast chestnuts but this is my favorite
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cut an X in the top of each chestnut but be very careful not to cut into the flesh.
- Place the chestnuts in a single layer on a cookie sheet and roast for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool the nuts until you can handle them and then peel them.
- Just before serving heat the oil in a fry pan large enough to hold the nuts in a single layer.
- Stir fry until light golden brown, remove from pan and with a paper towel remove any excess oil.
- Add the apple cider/ liquer, use high heat and reduce to apprx half.
- Return Chestnuts to pan, stir to glaze, add salt& pepper.
- Serve hot.
Nice touch. To ensure that they are easy to peel, wrap them in a few layers of newspaper as soon as they come out of the oven. This steams them makes them easy to peel. See the video in the following link. http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipe/252/Roast-chestnuts
I made two batches this year. These were delicious. I think hubby liked the flavor of the apple cider. I used sea salt. Some of my chestnuts peeled easily and some did not. I don't know why. If anyone has a solution or knows why I would like to know. They were done in 20 minutes.