Roasted Chayote and Red Pepper Salad With Tangerine Dressing
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Whisk together scallions, chile, juice, oil, and vinegar in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Cut chayote halves lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices and arrange in 1 layer in two thirds of a lightly oiled shallow baking pan. Put bell pepper quarters, skin sides up, in other third of pan.
- Roast in middle of oven, uncovered, until chayote is browned in spots and bell pepper skins are blistered, about 30 minutes. Immediately add chayote to dressing and toss to coat.
- Transfer hot bell peppers to a small bowl. Cover and let stand 10 minutes, then peel. Cut bell peppers into 1/4-inch-thick strips and add to chayote with any pepper juices accumulated in bowl. Add lettuce and toss to coat.
- Chayote and bell peppers can be roasted and dressed 1 hour ahead and kept at room temperature. Add lettuce just before serving.