Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
a.k.a. roasted garbanzo beans/chickpeas. People always are looking for healthy snacks and unless you are on a low sodium diet, this fits. They also add nicely to homemade snack blends (e.g., chex mixes, Giada's Ceci, Pistachio and Almond mix and the like).EDITED 9-8-07 Given the comments about the beans remaining somewhat soft inside, and realizing people expect them to be crispy, yesterday I made a double batch, cooked as indicated and then turned the oven to 275 and left them in for another hour to hour and a half. They were perfectly crunchy.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spread garbanzo beans on half sheet pan, dribble olive oil over them and use your (clean) hands to mix.
- Roast for 40 minutes, shaking the pan every 12 minutes or so, until quite brown and crisp.
- (May leave in oven for another hour or two at 250 to 275 for additional crisping.).
- Sprinkle with sea salt to taste.
- Cool. Serve.
- Can recrisp, if necessary, by heating for 5 minutes in a 375 degree oven.
Made for Recipe Swap #19 Aus/NZ. I didn't have real good luck with these, but I've tried making them before and didn't have good luck then either. It's probably just me. Anyway, I do like chick peas and I will try these again.
Great snack. I followed the recipe as written but shook the pan fewer times. They came out nice and crunchy.
I've had my eye on this recipe for awhile, and finally decided to make it for a snack last night. They beans came out nice & crunchy. I cooked it for about 45 minutes at 375 and then lowered the temp to 275 for 30 minutes. I didn't find the salt stuck to them enough, so I sprinkled them with some homemade seasoned salt to add flavor. It helped, but they were a little too plain for me. I think they would be good in a trail mix, and nut lovers would probably love them.