Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Simple and FABULOUS. Recipe found in Food Network Magazine Nov 2010. This could easily be made vegan by using vegan margarine which is what I did. The first time I made it I made it as is and loved it. Second time I added chinks of butternut squash and used walnuts in place of pine nuts and then topped it with manchego shavings.....delish! We eat this as a main course.
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets (about 8 cups)
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (I only use 2 T)
- 1⁄3 cup pine nuts
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup pitted medjool dates, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Evenly spread the cauliflower on a baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the oven and roast, tossing once with a spatula, until golden brown at the edges, about 20 minutes.
- Put the butter in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Once it's melted, add the pine nuts and cook, stirring frequently, until they're lightly golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and dates and continue cooking until they're softened, 2 to 3 minutes more; season with salt.
- Transfer the hot cauliflower to a serving bowl, drizzle the pine nut mixture over the top and toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary and serve warm or at room temperature.
FABULOUS! For color, I used half cauliflower and half broccoli (veggies from our CSA box, too!) Made as written, using 'barhi' dates for medjool. The combination of flavors was perfect and the caramelizing of the dates with the garlic was beyond description. Made for Veg Tag March. Definitely a Best of 2011 recipe!