Recipe by Marie
Roasting the cauliflower first with olive oil, salt and pepper, then topping it with a wonderful gruyere cheese sauce gives this side dish wonderful flavor. Delicious!
Top Review by Kumquat the Cat's friend
I've made a cheese sauce like this many times before, but for some reason they generally don't come out as well as this recipe did. Of course, I usually don't measure out my ingredients as carefully as I did this time. Therefore I do recommend you use this recipe for your cheese sauces. I also added some dry mustard, and used a low fat cheddar cheese and low fat milk to reduce calories. I roasted a bag of frozen cauliflower, broccoli and carrots. Very tasty, thanks!
- 1 small cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup shredded gruyere cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a large bowl, toss together cauliflower florets, olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Transfer to large rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Near the end of roasting time, in medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat, whisk in flour until blended and slightly browned.
- Gradually whisk in the milk until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper and simmer for 3 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Remove pan from heat and whisk in cheese until melted and well blended.
- Place cauliflower on serving platter and spoon sauce on top.
- Sprinkle with parsley for garnish.