Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
After reading pages of discussion about this dish over at eGullet, I knew I had to try it. This is wonderful! I'm not sure it tastes like french fries as much as they claim, but cauliflower cooked this way has a wonderful earthiness. Definately cut it as thinly as possible, because the browned bits are the best!
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Trim and wash the whole head of cauliflower then slice it about 1/4 inch thick. There will be lots of small pieces and several large lacy slices. Place the cauliflower into a large bowl and drizzle on the olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, toss to coat.
- Spread the cauliflower evenly ontoa sheet pan and put in the oven.
- After about 10 minutes, stir them around to get the pieces on the edge of the pan moved towards the middle to encourage even browning, stir again every 5-10 minutes.
- This should take a total of 20 - 30 minutes to get nice browned crispy bits.
- Add 1 cup of dried, cooked chickpeas, and 1 medium red onion, cut into thick half rings before tossing with the oil and salt. This makes a delicious topping for a salad or for cooked pasta.
It's official, roasted cauliflower is the best. Thank you for sharing this simple yet scrumptious recipe. Thank you.
I love roasting all veggies and this was good and easy. I added a few sprinkles of Mrs. Dash original after I added salt and pepper for some extra flavor. Thanks!