Modified from a recipe found on myrecipes.com which in turn was printed in Cooking Light, December 2009. The brown sugar, cumin and sherry vinegar were my addition. PS This also tasted delicious substituting asparagus for the carrots. fyi
- 2 1⁄2 lbs medium carrots, peeled and halved lengthwise (cut to uniform size and thickness)
- 2 tablespoons blood orange olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons spanish smoked paprika (this can be reduced if you want)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, plus
- 1 teaspoon dark molasses
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar (can sub Spanish dry sherry but *not* cooking sherry)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley (cilantro is a good sub!)
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Place the carrots in a large, non-reactive bowl.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients except for the fresh parsley. Toss well to coat.
- Transfer the mixture to a jelly roll pan in a single layer.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until tender, stirring a few times to evenly roast.
- Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle with fresh parsley or fresh cilantro .
I used olive oil with a splash of orange juice and some lemon zest. I didn't have sherry vinegar so used cider vinegar and a splash of sherry. Delish! Quartered the recipe too. Thanks!
Love roasted carrots and this recipe is fabulous! I didn`t have blood orange olive oil so I added zest of an orange. I placed all on a foil lined pan for easy clean up, Made for Veggie tag. Thanks CK