Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
I love how sweet these delicious carrots and onions turn out. Perfect, very simple side dish.
- 6 large carrots
- 1⁄2 medium sweet onion (or more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Slice carrots lengthwise, then chop into approximately 2-3" sections. If your carrots are particularly large, you may need to quarter some, just be sure your pieces are uniform for cooking.
- Slice onion into sections (however you want to. I usually chop as if making onion rings, then slice the circles in half, for long onion "strands").
- Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, then spread in a baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake at 400* until carrots are tender and onions are slightly browned. Noted cooking time is approximate, so keep an eye on these so your carrots don't become mushy!
I made these once before and really loved them. I am going to make them again tonight with mashed potatoes and gravy. Yummy. They take about an hour. I am using fresh carrots this time. Last time I used frozen baby carrots. I think they will be awesome with the fresh carrots. Definitely try this recipe. The onions and carrots are so sweet.
Simple and delicious. I would remove the foil halfway through cooking time next time, though, so carrots brown a little more. A nice way to get roasted carrots for the roast beef when doing the roast on the rotisserie.
Roasting carrots brings out the sweetness and with the onions added for flavour....fantastic! Sometimes simple really is better.