1/1 Photo of Roasted Carrot-Fennel Soup
1 hr 20 mins
Veggie Girl NYC's Note:
Kudos to my sis! This former fast-food junkie has become a lot more conscious of the foods she prepares for her family in recent years. The fact that her husband has had a heart attack (requiring quadruple bypass surgery) and a stroke in the past few years--as well as being diagnosed diabetic--has most likely had something to do with this. In any event, I couldn't be happier that she is trying to eat better and to make sure her family does the same! Knowing that I'm a veggie, she has been sharing any good vegetarian recipes that come her way. This one comes from a neighbor who is quite the creative chef. Simple and delicious, it's the perfect dinner for a cold winter night. Serve with a warm crusty loaf of homemade bread, and you're in business. Thanks, sis : ) !
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees F with rack in lowest position.
- 2Chop enough fennel fronds to measure 1 T and reserve. Discard stalks and remaining fronds. Slice bulbs 1/4" thick and toss with carrots, onion, garlic, 3 T olive oil, sugar. salt, and pepper. Spread in a 10" x 13" baking pan that has been lined with parchment paper and roast, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are browned and tender, appx. 30-45 minutes.
- 3When vegetables are done, remove from oven and cool slightly. Place vegetables in a large soup kettle and add vegetable broth. Using a hand blender, blend vegetables and broth together until very smooth. (Alternately, you can blend the vegetables and broth in a blender in batches, and transfer to a soup kettle when blended.) Thin with water if needed.
- 4Over medium heat, bring soup just to boiling, and then lower heat to keep warm until ready to serve.
- 5Meanwhile, finely grind fennel seeds in a spice or coffee grinder and stir into remaining 2 T olive oil.
- 6Serve soup drizzled with fennel oil and sprinkled with reserved chopped fronds.
- 7(Note: fennel oil can be made up to two days ahead and kept at room temperature until ready to serve.).
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Carrot-Fennel Soup
Serving Size: 1 (185 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 165.9
- Calories from Fat 104
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 287.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 1.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: