1/1 Photo of Roasted Caramelized Balsamic Onions
Warning: The aroma while cooking these is intoxicating! Serve as a side with a hearty casserole, stew, or veggie omelet! Spanish inspired!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large Spanish onions (or a few more smaller ones You may use vidalia or the common yellow too.)
- 1Preheat the oven to 450*F.
- 2Cut the onions into halves at the equators.
- 3Remove the skin and any tough outer layers.
- 4Do not cut off the root and stem ends and be careful not to score the layers you don't remove: uncut, the outer layer will better hold the onion together as it roasts.
- 5Place the onion halves cut side down in a 9-inch square baking pan.
- 6Melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in the vinegar, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- 7Pour over the onions.
- 8Bake for about 20 minutes, and then turn the onions over and baste them with the pan juices.
- 9Bake for another 20 to 25 minutes, until easily pierced with a paring knife and the inner rings have begun to swell and rise up.
- 10Serve immediately or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Caramelized Balsamic Onions
Serving Size: 1 (111 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 150.6
- Calories from Fat 104
- Total Fat 11.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 154.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 1.0 g