Prep 30 mins
Cook 43 mins
Fall/winter appetizer or snack
- 946.36 ml diced butternut squash
- 59.14 ml sliced caperberries, stems removed
- 78.07 ml roughly chopped walnuts
- 59.14 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 29.58 ml balsamic vinegar
- 4.92 ml honey
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml red chili pepper flakes
- 8 slice baguette, 3/4 inch thick, cut on diagonal
- walnut oil
- 113.39 g asiago cheese, grated using the large holes of a box grater
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a medium bowl, toss the butternut squash, caperberries, walnuts, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, salt, and chile flakes; spread on a small baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, mixing about every 10 minutes.
- Increase temperature to 500° and cook for 10 minutes more; the squash should be soft, yielding, and slightly brown; remove from oven and cool to room temperature.
- Preheat a panini grill; grill the bread slices for 2-3 minutes until they are golden brown; transfer to a serving platter.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of the butternut squash onto the prepared toasts.
- Top with a quick drizzle of walnut oil and a sprinkling of grated Asiago just before serving.