Recipe by Dienia B.
From Moro East cookbook by way of traditional foods blog. I changed up a few things; you could use pumpkin or other winter squash. For the stock you could use chicken or veggie. I am putting an option for those of you that use a crockpot. This soup is very good.
- 1 butternut squash
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, mashed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, minced (optional)
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 quart stock
- 1 cup yogurt, plain
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, sliced thin
- 1 green onion, sliced fine
Directions See How It's Made
- Seed and peel squash; cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Toss with 4 tablespoons olive oil; season with sea salt and pepper. (I didn't peel it and just sprayed with olive oil pam).
- Put the cloves of garlic in foil with the squash in oven on cookie sheet.
- Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour; add garlic for the last 20 minutes. You could throw in freezer and cook in crockpot later (I did a couple squash at same time).
- Meanwhile, in stock pot, brown onion on low with 2 Tablespoons olive oil oil.
- Add turmeric, chili flakes, pepper, and pinch of cinnamon.
- Add potatoes; the smaller you cut them the faster the soup will cook. Brown a little. If you are using a crockpot here is where you put everything in and cook it down .
- Add garlic and squash; the peel will come off when you are cooking and you have strain it out.
- Add stock and simmer. I added 1/2 chicken stock and 1/2 veggie stock.
- Add parsley and cilantro if you like the stuff.
- When potato is soft (40 minutes) or shorter time if potatoes are cut finer.
- Mash the the soup until blended. After you mash the soup be careful because it will burn easily. For people with a food processor or stick blender use those, you lucky dogs.
- For garnish:.
- Brown the garlic in butter and turmeric last little bit then add pine nuts watch them they burn REALLY EASILY.
- Use this as topping in middle of bowl of soup; a glop of yogurt then the fried bits then the green onions.