Recipe by KU~Kristi
I have seen several versions of this soup but I took the best of the others and created this one. It is wonderful on a cold day!
- 2 lbs butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 medium leeks, sliced, white parts only
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth, canned
- 4 cups fat-free half-and-half
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine squash, leeks, orange juice, brown sugar and cinnamon stick in a cake pan. Stir together and cover with foil. Roast in the oven at 450 degrees for 35-45 minutes in a standard oven.
- Make roux using the butter and flour. Brown until sandy in color. Add chicken broth about 1/2 cup at a time, whisking to avoid lumps.
- When squash mixture is finished roasting, remove cinnamon stick and add to chicken broth mixture.
- Simmer over medium heat for 1 hour or until squash is falling apart. Blend with an immersion blender. Strain soup by pressing through a sieve. (Can be made a day prior to this point.).
- Bring strained soup to medium heat. Temper cream with 1/2-3/4 cup of soup. Stirring to bring temperature up so it won't curdle, then stir into soup. Simmer over medium low to bring to temperature and serve!