Prep 0 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From 11/23/05 Post-Dispatch
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 lb large carrot, quartered lengthwise
- 2 large sweet onions, halved and sliced
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 5 lbs butternut squash, halved lengthwise and seeded (about 2 medium)
- 2 tablespoons whipped butter or 2 tablespoons reduced fat margarine, divided
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk or 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- nonfat sour cream
- chopped fresh parsley
- fresh ground pepper
- salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat nonstick jellyroll pan with cooking spray. Combine carrots, onions and olive oil in large bowl; toss to coat well.
- Arrange squash halves, cut side up, on the prepared pan. Spoon carrots and onions around the squash halves.
- Roast vegetables until tender and golden, stirring carrots and onions every 30 minutes. Total cooking time will be about 60 to 90 minutes. Let cool about 20 minutes.
- Scoop out squash flesh; place in a large food processor. Add carrots and onions. Process until somewhat smooth. Transfer to large non-stick saucepan; stir in chicken broth and milk. Bring to simmer, then cook about 10 minutes.
- If desired, cover soup and refrigerate up to one day. Rewarm over medium heat.
- Spoon soup into serving bowls; top each serving with a dollop fo sour cream, a sprinkling of parsley, freshly ground pepper and salt.