Recipe by Lorac
I picked up this recipe at Whole Foods today. I like the idea of roasting the squash and onions with the thyme to intensify their flavors and the cardamom sounds intriguing.
Top Review by CabinKat
I didn't care for this recipe that much. It came out too thick for me & the spices took away the sweetness of the squash. I think if you don't prefer the sweetness, then this recipe would be suitable.
- 5 lbs butternut squash, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch dice
- 2 yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups chicken broth or 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine squash, onion, thyme and oil.
- Place on a cookie sheet (s), in a single layer, and roast 20-30 minutes or until tender, stirring at least once.
- Place roasted vegetables in a soup pot and add broth, wine and cardamom.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Working in small batches, puree the soup in a blender or processor and place in a clean pot.
- Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat, stir in cream and season with salt and pepper.