Chef mariajane's Note:
Salads can be a hard sell in winter. Iceburg lettuce, when there's ice on the driveway, just doesn't work. Winter Salads work because they call for ingredients with assertive flavours and plenty of heft. Save the frisee and chilly cucumber slices for summer!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons cranberries, dried
- 3/4 cup apple cider or 3/4 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 ounces baby arugula
- 1/2 cup walnut halves, toasted
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2In a large bowl, combine squash, 2 tablespoons olive oil, maple surup, 1 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoons pepper. Toss well, then spread squash evenly over a baking sheet.
- 3Roast squash until tender, turning once, 15-20 minutes. Add crranberries to pan for the last 5 minutes.
- 4While squash is roasting , in a small saucepan, combine apple cider, vinegar and shallots. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then cook for 6-8 minutes or until liquid is reduced to about 1/4 cup.
- 5Remove saucepan from heat and whisk in mustard, remaining 1/2 cup olive oil, and remaining 1 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoons pepper.
- 6Place arugula in a large serving bowl. Add roasted squash mixture , walnuts and Parmesan. Spoon just enough vinaigrette over salad to moisten, then toss well.
- 7Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Butternut Squash Salad With Warm Cider Vinaigrette
Serving Size: 1 (332 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 522.2
- Calories from Fat 381
- Total Fat 42.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 16.5 mg
- Sodium 1203.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 12.1 g