1/2 Photos of Roasted Butternut Squash-Quinoa Veggie Burger
2 hrs 10 mins
Diet It Up's Note:
I bought Hubert Keller's Burger Bar cookbook and decided to skip right by the fattening yet delicious beef burger recipes and try a garden variety. I made a few slight adjustments to accommodate my own tastes and dietary restrictions. These were so tasty; I didn't even miss the moo.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14.79 ml honey
- 14.79 ml unsalted butter, melted (or margarine)
- 0.25 ml ground cinnamon
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small butternut squash, halved and seeds removed
- 9.85 ml olive oil
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 118.29 ml quinoa, well-rinsed
- 236.59 ml water
- 59.14 ml ground hazelnuts
- 118.29 ml whole wheat breadcrumbs, plus more if mixture is too wet
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 6 slice gruyere cheese
- 6 whole grain buns
- 6 leaf butter lettuce
- 6 slice tomatoes
- caramelized shallot (Caramelized Shallots)
- piquillo pepper ketchup (Piquillo Pepper Ketchup)
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F Line a baking sheet with foil.
- 2In a small bowl, mix together the honey, butter, cinnamon and salt and pepper to taste.
- 3Arrange the squash on the baking sheet, cut side up, and coat the squash with the butter mixture.
- 4Roast until soft, about 40 minutes.
- 5While the squash is roasting, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in saucepan. Add quinoa and toast lightly, about 3 minutes.
- 6Add the water. Bring to a boil. Add large pinch of salt and cover. Simmer for about 15 minutes. Let cool and fluff grains with a fork.
- 7Scoop squash flesh into a small bowl and mash lightly. Add about 2 cups of the squash to the quinoa with the hazelnuts, breadcrumbs, beaten egg, crushed red pepper and salt and pepper to taste.
- 8Cover bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Form into 6 patties and refrigerate the patties for another 30 minutes.
- 9Heat remaining two tablespoons olive oil in large nonstick skillet. Cook burgers until crusted and brown, about 3 minutes per side. Melt a slice of Gruyère cheese over each burger for the last minute of cooking.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Butternut Squash-Quinoa Veggie Burger
Serving Size: 1 (285 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 352.6
- Calories from Fat 186
- Total Fat 20.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 66.8 mg
- Sodium 115.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 13.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole wheat breadcrumbs
whole grain buns