Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This warm, comforting, gooey dish puts you so much in the mind of autumn. A great way to impress all of those out of town guests this holiday season. to make it a vegetarian entree, simply omit the italian sausage
- 3 lbs butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 lb sliced portabella mushroom
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 9 lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 3⁄4 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 3⁄4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- preheat oven to 450 and oil 2 large baking pans.
- in a large bowl toss the squash with oil until well coated and spread in a single layer in the pans.
- roast the squash for ten minutes.
- stir and season with salt.
- roast another 15 minutes or until tender and turning golden.
- preheat a skillet over medium heat and add the two tablespoons butter.
- add the onions ans saute.
- when onions begin to soften add the mushrooms and saute another 5 minutes.
- remove mixture and place in a bowl.
- brown the sauage in the skillet. drain and combine with mushroom mixture.
- in a saucepan, bring the milk to a simmer with the rosemary.
- heat on low heat for ten minutes and strain into a measuring cup.
- in a large saucepan heat the 1/4 cup butter and hea over low heat.
- add the garlic and heat until softened.
- stir in the flour to make a roux and keep stirring for 3 minutes.
- remove pan from heat and gradually mix in milk.
- return to pan and simmer 10 minutes whisking occasionally until sauce gets thick. season with desired amount of salt and pepper. sti in the squash.
- pour 1 cup of the sauce into baking dish and cover with 3 lasanga noodles making sure they dont touch.
- spread remaining sauce over pasta and layer 1/2 the sausage mixture.
- add not quite half the cheese mixture and add three more noodles.
- create one more layer in the same order.
- beat heavy cream with salt until forms a soft peak.
- spread over top layer of pasta sprinkling with remaining cheese.
- cover tightly with foil, tenting it slightly bake for 40 minutes.