Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Terrific with toasted baguette slices or pita chips, this creamy, sweet-savory dip can be prepared up to three days in advance. Refrigerate in a microwave-safe container, then reheat in a microwave on HIGH for one to two minutes or just until warmed. From Cooking Light 2004.
- 1 (2 lb) butternut squash
- 1 small walla walla onions or 1 small other sweet onion, trimmed and quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons creme fraiche or 2 tablespoons whole sour cream
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membrane.
- Brush cut sides of squash halves, cut sides of onion quarters, and garlic cloves with oil. Arrange squash halves, cut sides down, on a jelly-roll pan; arrange onion quarters and garlic cloves on pan.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly.
- Peel squash. Squeeze garlic cloves to extract pulp.
- Place squash, onion, and garlic pulp in a food processor; process until smooth. Add crème fraîche and remaining ingredients; process to combine.
- Serve warm.