Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Spicy fresh ginger complements the sweet roasted winter squash and shallots in this easy recipe. Serve with a grilled cheese sandwich for a simple supper. To make this recipe easier, I used pre-cut butternut squash found in Costco. Weight watcher = 3 points
- 681 g butternut squash, cubed and peeled (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large shallots, peeled and halved
- 1 (1/2 inch) ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- fresh chives
- cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a roasting pan or jelly-roll pan; toss well. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Cool 10 minutes.
- Place half of squash mixture and half of broth in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large saucepan. Repeat procedure with remaining squash mixture and broth. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Top with chives and pepper, if desired.