Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I came up with this receipe on a particularly gloomy fall day. I wanted some warm savory comfort food, and boy did this do the trick! Not only was it flavorful, but very pretty too!
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 red onion
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 lb sausage
- 12 ounces bacon
- 12 ounces white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup Guinness stout
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 lb asparagus
- 16 ounces cheese ravioli
- 12 ounces alfredo sauce
- 3 tablespoons balsamic syrup
- Clean, peel and cube the butternut squash into bite size pieces. Place in baking dish and lightly coat with 2 Tbs olive oil, salt & pepper. Roast at 350 covered until soft (about 40 minutes). Once soft, remove foil and continue baking until light golden brown edges appear.
- When the squash is almost done roasting:.
- Sauté the chopped red onion and zucchini in 2 Tbs olive oil, season with salt & pepper, set aside.
- Chop asparagus into bite size pieces and steam lightly, set aside.
- Cook bacon and chop finely. Saute with loose sausage (if buying sausages, just squeeze out of the casing).
- I used a Sicilian chicken sausage. When sausage is almost cooked all the way through, add ¾ cup of chicken broth and set to high. Add zucchini, onion, kidney beans and rosemary. Continue to cook on high until about half of the liquid has cooked off. Add butternut squash and Guinness. Stir until all ingredients are well mixed. Set to low, and let simmer.
- Bring 6 cups of water to boil and place ravioli in boiling water. Allow to cook until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Heat the alfredo sauce on medium heat until warmed.
- Just before serving, stir in the lightly steamed asparagus. Serve the ravioli over the ragout, top lightly with crème sauce & balsamic reduction drizzle.
- I served with a green salad tossed with goat cheese, raspberries, walnuts and a champagne vinaigrette.
- Very easily made vegetarian by omitting bacon, sausage and using vegetable broth.
- Low carb version - omit the ravioli.