Recipe by Dr. Carla
This is a culmination of harvest recipes gleaned over the years from many sources and tailored to my specific taste. Serve as an impressive beginning or as an entree with heartycrackers like Crunchmaster Multigrain gluten free crackers or some other accoutrement.
All organic ingredients
- 3 lbs butternut squash, peeled and seeded
- 20 crabapples, cored (may substitue other such as 3 Mcintosh or Granny Smith)
- 2 carrots
- 2 yellow onions
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 habanero peppers (definitely optional but lends depth to the flavours especially the sweet of the condiment) or 1 red Thai chile (definitely optional but lends depth to the flavours especially the sweet of the condiment)
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 4 cups chicken stock, if you like it thinner add more
- 1 teaspoon curry
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom
- coconut, flaked, sweetened, toasted
- roasted and salted cashews, chopped toasted
- 1 banana, sliced or diced (I used fair trade)
- scallion, slivered
- lime juice, squeezed on top
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Cut butternut squash, apples, carrots, onions, and celery into 2 inch cubes and grate or press garlic, mince the thai chile or habenero and toss with olive oil. Add the brown sugar, curry nutmeg, allspice, ginger, cardamon and cinnamon. Place them all in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast for 30 mins, or until tender.
- In the meantime, heat the chicken stock and when the vegetable medley is done, place them in the blender and puree to your desired consistency (I like my on the thicker side). Then add the pureed vegetable mixture to the simmering chicken stock.
- Cook together for about 30 mins and then taste for any seasoning additions.
- While the soup is finishing, toast the coconut and cashews (you can even add raisins).
- Serve hot with coconut condiments sprinkled on top. Some guests may prefer it one the side and you can add plain yogurt to it if you like.