1/1 Photo of Roasted Butternut Squash and Coconut-Curry Soup
1 hr 25 mins
Dr. Carla's Note:
This is a culmination of harvest recipes gleaned over the years from many sources and tailored to my specific taste. Serve as an impressive beginning or as an entree with heartycrackers like Crunchmaster Multigrain gluten free crackers or some other accoutrement.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
All organic ingredients
- 3 lbs butternut squash, peeled and seeded
- 20 crabapples, cored (may substitue other such as 3 Mcintosh or Granny Smith)
- 2 carrots
- 2 yellow onions
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 habanero peppers (definitely optional but lends depth to the flavours especially the sweet of the condiment) or 1 red Thai chile (definitely optional but lends depth to the flavours especially the sweet of the condiment)
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 4 cups chicken stock, if you like it thinner add more
- 1 teaspoon curry
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Cut butternut squash, apples, carrots, onions, and celery into 2 inch cubes and grate or press garlic, mince the thai chile or habenero and toss with olive oil. Add the brown sugar, curry nutmeg, allspice, ginger, cardamon and cinnamon. Place them all in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast for 30 mins, or until tender.
- 2In the meantime, heat the chicken stock and when the vegetable medley is done, place them in the blender and puree to your desired consistency (I like my on the thicker side). Then add the pureed vegetable mixture to the simmering chicken stock.
- 3Cook together for about 30 mins and then taste for any seasoning additions.
- 4While the soup is finishing, toast the coconut and cashews (you can even add raisins).
- 5Serve hot with coconut condiments sprinkled on top. Some guests may prefer it one the side and you can add plain yogurt to it if you like.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Butternut Squash and Coconut-Curry Soup
Serving Size: 1 (386 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 225.5
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 3.6 mg
- Sodium 202.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 23.2 g
- Protein 5.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: