Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From Cooking Light. Per serving: 469 calories, 14.4 g fat, 22.1 g protein, 66.6 g carb, 6.8 g fiber, 40 mg cholesterol.
Top Review by Lori Mama
I had some uncooked butternut squash that needed to be used, along with some odds and ends of other root veg, so this was perfect. Did not have the provolone, so subbed in some fontina. Delicious. :)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (1-inch cubes)
- 6 slices bacon (sweet smoked hickory)
- 1 cup thinly sliced shallot
- 8 ounces uncooked mini penne
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 3⁄4 cup shredded sharp provolone cheese
- 1⁄3 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, mix together 1/4 teaspoon salt, rosemary, and pepper.
- Lay the squash out on a foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with salt mixture.
- Bake in a 425° oven for 45 minutes or until tender and lightly browned.
- Remove squash from oven and increase oven temp to 450°.
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp.
- Remove bacon from pan; discard all but 1 1/2 teaspoons drippings in skillet; crumble bacon and set aside.
- Increase heat to medium-high; add shallots to skillet; stir/saute for 8 minutes or until tender.
- Combine squash, bacon, and shallots; set aside.
- Prepare pasta by following the package directions; drain well.
- Combine flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Gradually add in milk, stirring constantly using a whisk; bring to a boil.
- Cook 1 minute or until slightly thick, stirring constantly.
- Remove pan from heat; add in provolone cheese; stir until cheese melts.
- Add pasta to cheese mixture; toss well to combine.
- Spoon pasta mixture into an 11x7 inch baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray; top with squash mixture.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese evenly over the top.
- Bake at 450° for 10 minutes or until cheese melts and begins to brown.