1 hr 15 mins
This recipe by chef Terry Conlan is a favorite fall and winter soup at the Lake Austin Spa Resort.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups chopped seeded and peeled butternut squash
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 baking apple, cored and quartered (Macintosh, Jonathan or Granny Smith)
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 cups vegetable stock, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup evaporated skim milk
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 1Combine squash, onion, apple and canola oil in a bowl; toss to coat.
- 2Arrange vegetables in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- 3Bake at 400F for 30 minutes.
- 4Remove roasted vegetables to a blender or food processor and add ginger, garlic and about 1 1/2 cups of the stock; purée, adding more stock if necessary.
- 5Use a little of remaining stock to deglaze the baking sheet; pour into a large soup pot over medium heat.
- 6Combine 2 tablespoons of stock with cornstarch in a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- 7Toast curry powder in a dry skillet until it begins to give off a nutty fragrance.
- 8Add cornstarch mixture, curry powder, remaining stock, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to soup pot.
- 9Cook until slightly thickened, stirring frequently.
- 10Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- 11Add milk and cream cheese; heat through until the cheese melts.
- 12Correct seasonings.
- 13Serve hot, garnished with minced chives, if desired.
Browse Our Top Apple Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
Serving Size: 1 (81 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 53.3
- Calories from Fat 10
- Total Fat 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 3.0 mg
- Sodium 28.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 1.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: