1 hr 15 mins
This recipe by chef Terry Conlan is a favorite fall and winter soup at the Lake Austin Spa Resort.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups chopped seeded and peeled butternut squash
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 baking apple, cored and quartered (Macintosh, Jonathan or Granny Smith)
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 cups vegetable stock, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup evaporated skim milk
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 1Combine squash, onion, apple and canola oil in a bowl; toss to coat.
- 2Arrange vegetables in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- 3Bake at 400F for 30 minutes.
- 4Remove roasted vegetables to a blender or food processor and add ginger, garlic and about 1 1/2 cups of the stock; purée, adding more stock if necessary.
- 5Use a little of remaining stock to deglaze the baking sheet; pour into a large soup pot over medium heat.
- 6Combine 2 tablespoons of stock with cornstarch in a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- 7Toast curry powder in a dry skillet until it begins to give off a nutty fragrance.
- 8Add cornstarch mixture, curry powder, remaining stock, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to soup pot.
- 9Cook until slightly thickened, stirring frequently.
- 10Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- 11Add milk and cream cheese; heat through until the cheese melts.
- 12Correct seasonings.
- 13Serve hot, garnished with minced chives, if desired.
Browse Our Top Apple Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Apple Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
Serving Size: 1 (81 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 53.3
- Calories from Fat 10
- Total Fat 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 3.0 mg
- Sodium 28.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 1.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: